So i'll tell you about my audition today. I don't have a car so i had to take the bus from North Hollywood to Santa Monica. There is never a dull moment when you take the Los Angeles Metro to your final destination. The highlight was when i was sitting on the bus and a homeless person got on and sat down. The stench was so bad that people started gagging. It usually doesn't phase me but even i was completely distracted from my reading because of it. Haha. After two hours i made it but i was about 30 minutes early. I was walking to the audition location and it was a residential area so i figured i'd kill time. If it was an office building then i'd go right in because i could walk in. But i didnt want to go early to the persons house because what if they were in the shower or something. So i walked a few blocks to the main street to see if i could find a place to eat. Did you know they have drive through Starbucks now? Crazy huh? I didn't find a fast food place so i walked back to the house where the audition was at. I knocked on the door and a young attractive lady with blonde hair opened the door and said hi. She said that i was five minutes early and the person inside now was 10 minutes late and wanted to know if i could wait on the porch outside. She gave me sides and i sat down and went over them. I had prepared the part of the waiter but she wanted me to read the part of another character as well. I sat there and went over the lines, trying to sit up straight because i have a slouching problem. I overheard the director going over the scene with whatever actor was in there and i noticed that the actor didn't sound very trained. So i felt a little more relaxed, although i know i have messed up more than a few times during an audition so.... Anyway, the door opened and the actor left and it was my turn. I got up and smiled as she greeted me again and went inside. There were two guys in the living room area. I was taken aback by how young there both were. The director, a young guy who looked like an episode of Gossip Girl,was pleasantly warm and friendly. The other guy, looked just like my friend Shawn Southern, who was Loudmouth Tool on the first season of the VH1 show Tool Academy, except he was not as tall as Shawn. He didnt seem as happy to meet me. I shook both of their hands and looked them directly in the eye as i said hi(i'm working on having better eye contact with people). The director asked me which part i wanted to read first. I told him the waiter since i prepared that one. So he turned the video camera on and had me slate and start. Tool Academy and the pretty blonde were the readers. I did the scene and when i finished he seemed impressed. He asked me to try it a different way and i did. I noticed that he never stopped recording in between the reading so i started to feel self conscious but i forced myself to get over it. The second scene i was supposed to be reading it to Tool Academy. In the scene i am surprised to see him and i'm impressed by a miracle he performed awhile ago. The guy reminded me so much of my friend Shawn who i look up to so i figured i'd use that and just talk to him as though i look up to him specifically....the reader that is. I hope that makes sense. I started and was so focused on him that he was even impressed by the time the read was over. I noticed that i was so focused he had a hard time looking me in the eye. It went really well. The director liked what i was doing. He had me try it a couple different ways to see if i could take the direction. It seemed to go very good. It felt good to be there. The three of them were so friendly and cool. It was a breath of fresh air. The last audition i went on.....it was for.....well i dont want to burn anyone.....it was for a major hit TV show. The casting director didn't even look at me the whole time i read. He had his eyes buried in something...didnt look at me once. I wanted to throw my shoe at his face. These guys were SOOOOOOO cool. Even if i dont book the job, the experience alone made the whole 5 hours of bus time worth it. Plus it feels good reading and auditioning for low budget films. I feel like i'm back in the grind. Well i've typed enough for one day. Good night all.
Desmon
Monday, December 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is a good update. My advice (which I tend to give even when not requested.) They need you, they want you. They should be happy as f*ckin heck that your there Desmon Heck. As you may have noticed, I talk. A LOT. There are a bunch of times that I audition for things and spend 45 minutes talking with people and then 5 minutes of auditioning . Sometimes I get things that way. Small plays and student films. But work is work. And surgeons sometimes get appendix that need to be removed, and sometimes they have to tie some guys ball tubes. Some jobs are smaller than others, but it's still the work they do. And I'm sure they don't think it's SOOOOOOooooo below them. Keep cracking away my friend.
ReplyDelete